Friday, May 31, 2013

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."

I've missed blogging over the past week, but my life has suddenly become very busy. It reminds me of the old days. I am having surgery next week so maybe that will slow my pace for a few days. Nothing major, just a little needed reconstruction. It took almost a year, but I now have the very early stages of lymphedema. It is not much of a concern at this point. It is in my left arm, of course (the arm that had lymph nodes removed & was radiated). Really... this is no surprise.

Life is beautiful, but at the same time, it is full of hardship. I'm not talking about my own hardships, rather the hardships of others. A few nights ago, I attended a Baccalaureate service for the graduates in my community. It was a very meaningful time for me. I got to see some of my former youth from my youth leader years. Testimonies were shared; beautiful worship took place. Tears came to my eyes. It made me miss those precious youth leader years, truly one of the most fulfilling times of my life.

I always remember Dr Seuss when I think of the fun I had as a youth leader. "Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." So true & yet sometimes so difficult. One of the graduates unexpectedly shared a few thoughts concerning the impact his youth leaders had on him. I did not expect a mention, & that is what moved me to tears. I will never cease to be amazed to find out that God used me when I was unaware. Nothing is more meaningful to me than that. Being used by God is my greatest joy. Finding out years later reminds me that it was real. It was precious.

Today I held my adorable grandson for an hour while he slept. Truly, the best part of my day. I can't explain the contentment I feel when I hold this precious little being. He likes to snuggle up right by my neck, & I just love to kiss his little head & feel his cheek against mine. I can't seem to get enough of this. He is 3 weeks old now. He is filling out a little, not quite so frail. He can lift his head. I look at him, & I can only be thankful. He is more than I deserve.

Tomorrow I will spend with my mom. She is having a birthday, & I am thankful I can make a quick trip to be with her on her birthday. I thank God for her every day of my life. Without her, I would not be me. I'm a lot like her. I even look like her. However, she is gifted musically, & I am gifted in other ways. I did not get the music gene. We do have a similar sense of humor. She always made me laugh. She taught me how to be a mama & now the cycle has gone full circle. I remember the day she left after being with me for a week. My firstborn was depending on me, & all I knew was what my mother just taught me. It was enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment