Sunday, December 8, 2013

ashes to beauty

Today we had a unique experience. We were invited to my daughter's college as guests of honor. Being tornado victims seemed to qualify us for this honor. The experience was beautiful. I felt as though I had temporarily stepped into a different culture (a culture I've always wanted to visit). This event represented Heaven. First of all we were all gathered together feasting. Different cultures came together to feast, much like The Great Banquet described in the Bible. Secondly, our ruins from the tornado became works of art. This symbolized the restoration of the fallen Jerusalem. Brilliant.

Our wreckage became artwork. What a lovely way to acknowledge the tornado, but at the same time, allow God to turn our ashes into beauty (just as He does with our broken lives). I think when we take our heart aches & turn to God with an expectation of healing, small miracles begin to happen. Things don't always follow our timeline or turn out according to our desire, but the end result will probably be better than anything we ever imagined.

This feast was filled with spontaneity. Refugees from war torn Africa were invited. A refugee woman prepared beans that she had grown on one of the professor's land. They had a flavor we here in America are not accustomed to tasting.  Brussel sprouts still attached to the root were broiled with bacon. We had rice, peanut dressing, bon bons, & so much more.

The feast began with song. Soon clapping & dancing began, & before we knew it, we were all parading around the artwork. Instruments accompanied this joyful event. There was a professor playing a clarinet, an accordion, a tambourine, & a djembe. People of all ages were participating. Cultures were interacting. It was my dream come true. I do believe it resembled Heaven. Words are not enough.

I had but one regret. I did not feel we were worthy of being the guests of honor. As I said in my last blog, we can drive out of our wreckage. We are safe. We are warm. Our problems are temporary. For a few hours, I forgot about my tornado wreckage even though I was surrounded by my own damaged goods. I was in awe of the artwork, but even more at the whole event. Singing, parading, feasting, joy, beautiful smiles... Heaven cam down to earth this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment