Sunday, February 16, 2020

Barbara

I don't know quite why, but lately I have felt exceptionally close to my mom. She passed away in August of 2011, but  I feel as tho' she's sitting nearby, playing the piano, & nodding at me with encouragement & understanding. I must be aging myself. I know I am because I have been drawn to the old hymns as if they are calling my name. I was brought up in First Christian Church in Waukegan, Illinois. To say it had meaning in my life would be an understatement. I asked Christ into my heart at First Christian Church. I won a hula hoop contest at a church picnic when I was a little girl. I was baptized at 12 years old. I had fun with my cousins & friends at church. I received my first Valentine at church. The list of important first continues...

One of my favorite things as a child about First Christian Church was Sunday school worship. My mom played the piano, someone stood at a podium & directed as we sang the songs. It didn't matter that I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket, I just loved worship. When we were little, we sang kids songs like "Jesus Loves Me." Once we reached the middle school years (called Junior High back then), we moved to the original church building on the same property & sang hymns. I loved this time of gathering in the old building. It seemed more authentic to me, & I loved singing the hymns.

One of the perks of having my mom play the piano at church was hearing her practice the piano at home. Sometimes when she practiced, I would be in my bed falling asleep. Sometimes I'd be doing homework, playing with my dolls, or just going about my business (whatever it was for the day). On occasion, I would sit & listen & watch her play those hymns. She had a beautiful voice & often sang the hymns as she practiced. I remember as she ended each hymn, the notes would quietly trail off, she would be smiling, & always nod her head, & her pretty blue eyes would sparkle. She'd look at me, & I'd smile back. It was a quiet communication between us that had so much meaning, yet I never realized it at the time. I just loved it.

I'm not sure quite what we were saying to each other as the notes trailed off, but as she reached that last note, she always looked at me with her pretty blue eyes, smiled, & nodded. I always smiled back. This trailing off of notes complete with her smile, head nod, & blue eyes is what I've been feeling over & over since I began listening to hymns on Alexa. "Because He lives, I can face tomorrow. Because He lives, all fear is gone. And I know He holds the future, and life is worth the living just because He lives." "Turn your eyes upon Jesus. Look full in His wonderful face, and the things of earth will grow strangely dim, in the light of His glory & grace."

These hymns, the words, they have new meaning. When I sang them as a child, I loved them. As I listen to them as an adult, I cling to these words. They are my courage for tomorrow. They give meaning to my faith. They speak about Eternity & make me long for Heaven. They explain so much about Spiritual things to me. They put my thoughts & feelings into words. I heard them over & over as a child. They are ingrained in my heart. The words play over & over in my head, & each time, my mom nods at me with her pretty blue eyes. As the notes trail off, she turns to me & smiles. They take me back to that sweet moment over & over. Thank you, Mom, for such a beautiful gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment