Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Such a Time as This...

I think we've all been doing a lot of thinking lately. Strong words have been used to describe our anxiety over the Coronavirus. Medically speaking, I have heard more than once that we must act as if we are living in wartime. I turned on the TV, & it was as if the reporter stole a thought right from my head. She said, "It's as if we've all been hit by a tornado at the same time." I've been a part of more than one conversation in which the "end times" has been the question of the hour. Truth is, it's only going to get worse. That's the current speculation. So... how do we stay centered? How do we not become unnerved, allowing waves of anxiety to eat us up?

If I may share a few thoughts in love...

Dear Beloved Human Being,
I know that some of you struggle with faith, & some of you choose to turn away from faith. Some of you pick & choose bits & pieces from the Bible. Our world is at the very least confusing & troublesome. Hardships are a given for everyone, especially in such a time as this. Most (if not all)  human beings are scared, stressed, & experiencing anxiety at a new level. Most of us have begun to experience loss already, whether it's the loss of a job, our sanity, fast food, our former life, or sadly a loved one. "Trusting in God is an act of deliberate humility" (as my oldest daughter posted this quote this morning). "Fear & mistrust often come from thinking we are all-knowing. Only God is" (author unknown).

My heart grieves for those whom I love who have rejected faith in God. It breaks for any soul who doesn't know Christ. What kind of human being would I be if I didn't take the time to share the anchor of my life? Penn, an atheist from the duo, Penn & Teller (2 American magicians & comedians), once asked in all seriousness, "How much do you have to hate Somebody to Not Proselytize?" So... if I love my fellow human beings, especially my loved ones, then how can I not urge you, beg you to consider Christ, especially at such a time as this?

I don't believe in shoving Christ down someone's throat. Sometimes, sharing Christ is a delicate subject because people get offended. Sometimes we don't share Christ because we fear rejection. Whatever my excuse would be for not telling other human beings about Christ... I am willing to risk the consequences that may fall on me for asking each of you (who happen to read this particular blog) to pause & search your own soul, & ask yourself (if you are a nonbeliever), "What if I am wrong?" Believing in Christ won't bring you happiness by the world's standards. However, there is an inner peace that surpasses all understanding waiting for you.

Christ won't likely miraculously take your earthly troubles away, but He will walk through this storm with you. He will give you the assurance that there is more to this earthly life than meets the eye. What we go through on this earth is temporary. We are a vapor in the wind. Our home (our eternity) is meant to be in Heaven. Jesus Christ himself said, "I am the way, the truth, & the life. No one comes to the Father but by me" (John 14:6). Faith is belief in the unseen. The unseen is more than a mere human can comprehend with his/her own eyes.

I'd like to share a conversation I had a few months ago with an elderly woman. She was moving to another state, & I realized my time with her had been cut short. She was a self-proclaimed Atheist. She had lived a rough life & survived much turmoil. Like myself, she was a breast cancer survivor, she had lost her beloved husband a few years back, & survived a hurricane in a North Carolina beach house all by herself. I gathered up all the courage I had at that moment, & I knocked on her door. She invited me in & asked me to have a seat. I asked her how she had found the strength to survive her difficult life...

She said she always knew she was a strong person but that she was very tired of being strong. I shared with her that I too had experienced some rough times in my life (not as bad as hers) & that I could not have survived them without my faith in Jesus Christ. She said that she was an Atheist. I asked her why. She shared that she was an Atheist because that is "what" she was born into. I looked her in the eye, & in the kindest way I could, I said, "You know, it's not too late for you to change." She looked at me & said, "What did you say?" I repeated myself, I said, "You know, if you would like to rethink things, you could change. You don't have to stay an Atheist." She looked at me & said, "Well... I suppose you are right." I told her that she didn't have to continue this journey alone. I sensed it was time for me to go. My courage was fading. My adrenaline was waning. We hugged, & she thanked me so much for taking the time to visit her & share my Christ.

She moved the next day. I doubt I will ever see her again on this earth.

As I close, I would be remiss if I didn't mention the fact that some people find it hard to follow Christ because His followers behave badly. As Ghandi said, "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians."  We are all human. When Christians mistreat others, it seems hypocritical to onlookers (both those who follow Christ & those who don't). The truth is, we are all sinners in need of a Savior. Jesus doesn't take away our sin. He suffered so that our sins may be forgiven if we know Him. We must all consider our eternity because we will spend it somewhere. What if you're wrong? What if I am wrong?

Thanks for reading,
Susie







No comments:

Post a Comment