Friday, February 22, 2013

I want to be courageous.

This evening I enjoyed watching the 20/20 Special about Robin Roberts' journey. I love her courage. Recently, I've  have decided that courage is a quality I hope is evolving in me. I want to be courageous. I think we all have different circumstances in life which offer us opportunities to develop our courage. Hardships will come our way; it's how we face them that will define our courage. Robin Roberts said that she did not undergo all of her treatment to live in fear.

I believe fear can be paralyzing. I have been paralyzed by fear in the past, & at times have not made the best decisions because I let my fears rule me. When I look back, I only have regret for my unfaced fears. Being courageous is not easy, but in the long run, I believe it brings satisfaction. Knowing you faced your fears, even if the outcome is not what you hoped, brings peace. Sweeping "things" under the rug brings regret. It's like a roll of the dice, being passive, & seeing how things play out.

Robin also said that no where does it say we are not supposed to be happy. Hardships tend to rob us of our happiness. However, with Christ, I believe it's possible to have joy even in our sorrows. I believe it's how God wired us & is nothing short of remarkable. When we anchor ourselves in the hope of Christ, the outcome rests in God's hand, & the burden no longer resides on our shoulders. Whatever the outcome, we can cling to the promise that All things work for good for those who love the Lord & are called according to His purpose (Romans 8:28). Things will ultimately work out for the best (even if it's not how we hoped).

I can honestly thank God for my trials because they have provided me with experiences I would otherwise never have known. It's through my trials, I have grown, not through my mountaintop experiences. Yes, I love the mountaintop, but I know my character is far more shaped by my challenges. In the end, I want my character to be pleasing to God. The mountaintops make life fun, but having my heart refined is so much better!



No comments:

Post a Comment