Saturday, February 23, 2013

My little story...

I'm in the midst of a Bible Study with some friends that have grown very dear to my heart. As I was digging a little deeper this morning, I had a thought (or rather, a question) which I think is worthy  of asking ourselves whether we are in this particular Bible Study or not... How is your life in the Lower Story (that is your earthly life) impacted by knowing there is an Upper Story (God) who may be using your story to bring others closer to Him?

You see, knowing that I serve a God who is ultimately in control (& by that I mean He will work everything for good for those who love Him) effects how I live my life. It effects how I accept my hardships, what I do with them, how I pray, my willingness to be God's vessel, my Hope, my anxiety, my depression, my joy, my security, how I treat others, & the list continues.

I can't believe I actually thought about my cancer this morning & realized that I am blessed beyond measure for the lessons God gave me on this walk. Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined thinking like this in my pre cancer days. This kind of thinking is just not a part of my DNA. I'm the one with fear & anxiety. I'm the one who likes to feel secure, enjoys being stuck in a rut, eating the same thing at the same restaurant time & again. I'm the one who worries before "things" ever come to pass. And... now... here I am sitting here blessed more than words can adequately express.

Of course, this question leads me to another question... What about the person who lives his/her life without the realization that God is using his/her little story as a part of His greater story? What is it like to live life thinking our circumstances are random. Do we just roll the die & see how they land, or does God have His say? If we don't like our circumstances, do we roll the die again? Do we cry out to God? Do we blame Him?

I believe we cry out to Him. I believe He may not give us the answer we would choose anymore then as a parent we give into all of our children's whims. I trust that He will use my story (both it highs & its lows) as a part of His greater story. My desire is for my little story to matter, to not be walked in vain. It may or may not have the ending I would choose, but as long as God is in control, I believe it will have the right ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment