Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Lake House

There's a place I love. It's a quiet place where I feel just a little bit closer to Heaven. It sits on the edge of the water in a little cove. The neighbors are kind. There's a dock with boats. Sunsets are beautiful. Sunrises are pretty. The fishing is fun. We share a little beach. The dogs love to swim. It's a simple place, a quiet place, a place I love.

It's a place where you can leave your worries behind. A sort of timelessness exists. As I sit on the bow of the boat, I experience a carefree feeling that's as close to Heaven as I know. The breeze is gentle. Riding into the sunset is an experience like no other. Being on the lake in the dark, seeing the lights on the shore, accompanied by a warm breeze... if you didn't know better, you'd think you were on a tropical island.

I caught a big catfish here. It broke my line. As it flopped around on the dock, I texted my daughter & her husband for help: Big Fish. Need help! We all laughed in amazement. We are still in disbelief. Today we drug a big bunch of branches in (only to find out they had a purpose, a fish habitat).  My son-in-law dutifully put them back. I asked my neighbor if he was mad. He teasingly replied he'd tie a brick around my neck & throw me out with the fish. Yes, I think a well deserved plan. Nothing like destroying your neighbor's handiwork (the shame I feel)...

This is a place where family & friends can come & go. Memories are being made. New friendships are forming. I watch my precious grandson as his parents enjoy a few outings. Here I stay, perfectly content, looking after the sweetest thing I know, my newborn baby grandson. I examine his little hands & feet over & over. I kiss his little head a million times. I swaddle him up like a burrito. I sing to him with my out of tune voice. He doesn't seem to mind. Letting him sleep on me is calming & precious.

Tomorrow we leave. I say good-by to this heavenly place. I look forward to my return. S'mores, late night boat rides, deer on the side of the road, a big turtle slowly making it's way to the road, tangled up fishing line, sunrises & sunsets, bright stars, tropical breeze, dogs swimming, friendly people who don't seem to judge others... simple, fun, & oh so beautiful.


No comments:

Post a Comment