Wednesday, July 2, 2014

It just doesn't make sense.

Sometimes things just don't make sense. Why would a man receive a medal of valor for serving his community only to be let go just one month later? No disciplinary action is needed. The reason cited for not renewing his contract is a difference in philosophies. From what I know, this man is a good man. He is well loved by his children, his grand children, paramedics, firefighters, friends, a community, & countless others. The town is recovering from an F4 tornado, & now their beloved fire chief who says he would give his right arm to stay is being let go.

A petition is circulating online. I want to encourage people to sign it. Why? Because when people stand up for another person, it can make a difference. On a much smaller scale, I was mistreated for reasons I will never fully understand. People were not made aware of the truth because my goal was to leave with grace. I did not want to cause dissension so I left this particular community quietly. Looking back, I believe if people had known the truth, the outcome would have been different. I don't regret my decision; I felt strongly that it was not my place to stir up trouble.

Being a victim of people in powerful positions who may be overstepping their bounds is painful for both the suffering community & for the man of valor. It creates a lose/lose situation. The community loses their man of valor, & the man of valor loses that for which he gave his life. People never really know what went on behind the scene. It just doesn't make sense.

I only have my gut feeling to go by. It is not always right. But for now, it smells a rat. I am willing to risk being wrong to support this kind man who invested himself fully in a suffering community. Tornado victims are still struggling. Delays are a daily part of life. Depression is real. Children cannot safely  play in their own yards. People are hurting, and now this community has one more reason to hurt. Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment