Monday, July 28, 2014

Daniel & Ashleigh

Yesterday moved me. My nephew got married. I love watching people grow up & become kind hearted adults. When  you get to be my middle age, that is one of the joys in life… watching people grow up. One of the heartaches in life is watching the people who don't grow up. Some people stay put & refuse to grow up. I suspect it's due to some unresolved hurt. It's sad. It takes its toll on the others who go down with them. Sometimes they are innocent family members.

True love puts the other person first. It's simple, but it goes against human nature. Consistently putting the other person first (whether it's a girlfriend, a spouse, a child, or a friend)  is sacrificial. Christ sacrificed for us, & I believe that is why we are drawn to sacrifice for each other. It's unselfish. We are selfish. It involves denying our instant gratification & holding out for a long term goal. It's Christlike.

Yesterday, my nephew confidently married the young woman of his dreams. Their vows were heartfelt & beautiful. Their joy was inexplicable. Such a happy wedding day. The siblings of the bride & groom only added to the joy. The toast form the Matron of Honor was sweet. She said always have fun because fun memories are easy to make. Simple but true. The Best Man (my nephew) gave a meaningful tribute to his brother. As I listened to his words, I could picture the brothers growing up. It was precious. I only wish my mom could have witnessed this day by my side. She would have cried sweet tears.

As I watch people around me self destruct, my heart weeps. I want to help them, but I am so limited. After all, it is their life to live, not mine. Yesterday brought me as much joy as the opposite end of the spectrum brings me sadness. This world is full of uncertainties; it's cursed with heartache. To witness love in its pure form, simple & beautiful, was a bright spot for me. To hear their vows, to know that even though they cannot fathom what those vows will mean 30 years from now, did my heart good. After all, that is why we take our vows.







No comments:

Post a Comment