Wednesday, July 2, 2014

a club I never wanted to join...

Life has been a bit painful lately, emotionally speaking (not so much for myself but for people who are dear to my heart). Like I've said before, once you become a Cancer Survivor, you have more Survivor friends than friends who are not. This blog goes out to my fellow Survivors…

Saturday, I had one of the most meaningful afternoons of my life. My Pink Survivor Sisters (we wrote a book together) gave a baby shower for a young woman who miraculously is about to have a baby girl. We are so happy & excited for her. She was diagnosed with breast cancer at a young age. Her cancer even had the nerve to come back! Well… against all odds, her due date is nearing the final stretch.

So… Saturday, we gathered in her honor, to celebrate life. We all agreed. We just couldn't really come up with the right words to describe the meaningfulness behind all of this. No, words just don't do this situation justice. As we visited, God began to open my eyes (yes right before my very eyes) to see the strength, the grace, the courage we all share. He opened my eyes to realize no matter how bleak our circumstances become, there's always Hope because He is present. He affirmed my beliefs. His grace really is sufficient.

One person in particular impacted me greatly Saturday. As I imagined her journey through this life, I suddenly knew that she was just what I needed. I needed a good dose of seeing God's grace in action. Walking life through her shoes is more than anyone could bear alone. But…through her faith, she still radiates the most kind, loving, & gentle Spirit. I am in awe! She is twice a cancer survivor. She lost her daughter to cancer. That to me is unbearable. She has other hardships too, but I will just leave it here for now.

This role model has the key to life. The only way to come through such deep wounds is to hold on tight to Christ. He has never forsaken me. It's all about surrender too.What a paradox. Hold on tight & yet surrender. How does one even begin to explain what that means? With breast cancer, I was indoctrinated into a club I never wanted to join. It's a club that doesn't take life lightly.

It's a club that understands when one doesn't have the words. It's a club that pulls for you, encourages you, & gives you Hope. This particular group of Survivors also shares the bond of faith in Christ. My friend, Elizabeth, messaged  me early on in my journey. She said that Breast Cancer is a strong bond but not as strong as the bond we share in Christ. Thank you to all my fellow Survivors who are teaching me by example how to walk this walk. Words are not enough! I thank God for being a part of this precious club!

No comments:

Post a Comment