Sunday, August 10, 2014

What is a friend?

Today, I choose to write about friendship. Through the losses I have experienced over the last 4 years… I just want to take a moment to thank all of those who took time to comfort me in some small or big way. As most of you know, 4 years ago, I lost a youth group that I loved & a church home of 25 years. Many of those people are still my dear friends. I will always love them.

As we began our search for a new church, we found one in a nearby town. We chose this church for more than one reason, but one very important part of this decision was because I made a new friend, & every week she smiled her beautiful smile, hugged me, & remembered my name. Simply put, I knew when I walked in the door, somebody cared about me.

As we began to call our new church "Home," something unforeseen & awful happened. I was diagnosed with an aggressive Stage 3 Breast Cancer. The bottom dropped out of my world, & I felt extremely vulnerable & alone (in spite of the fact that my family loved me dearly & was always near to me). So much emotion to process. To say I was overwhelmed does not do my state of mind justice.

So… a once active youth leader was now a Survivor. I kept asking myself, "When do I become a Survivor? Is it while I'm still fighting for my life or is it 15 months down the road when my treatments end?" I think I can accurately say now that the day I was diagnosed, I became a Survivor. I shut people out. I couldn't talk to even my closest friends for months. I cannot describe the ache in my heart.

As I walked this walk, Jesus became my best friend. I know this sounds cliche, but it is the truth. This needed to happen long before cancer. I just chose to live with a false security prior to my diagnosis. As I journeyed on, my mom's health & mind declined. I knew I was losing her, but I could only be thankful because, I knew in Heaven, she would be wholly healed (body, mind, & soul). I miss her, but as I wrote in another blog, I just wish I could spend an hour with her on a special bench by the lake, to hear all about her life in Heaven. It makes me smile to think of her with no more tears or suffering.

3 months after my beloved mother went to Heaven, a tornado took my Home Sweet Home. We realized our losses slowly. Insurance took a while, & things we thought could be salvaged were unsalvageable. Pretty much, a total loss. I have never really grieved this immense loss as most people. I don't know why, & sometimes that bothers me. I love my new home. Going to the old home sight makes me feel claustrophobic. I don't really understand myself.

So 9 months out from our most recent tragedy & 4 years out from the first of many to follow, I look back, & I see friends & family who cared for me. I see a God who drew me close to Him. It's almost surreal but not so much any  more. I would like to close this blog with a small tribute to my friends…

A friend is not a user. A friend is genuine. A friend listens to your same story each time it is told. A friend forgives. A friend does not pretend. A friend gives you distance. A friend draws close when you are ready. A friend walks with you. A friend bears your secrets. A friend comforts. A friend tells the truth even when it hurts. A friend cries tears for you & laughs with you. A friend doesn't judge. A friend prays for you. A friend may hurt you (but hopefully not intentionally). Sometimes a friend needs forgiveness. Thank you Friends for being my friend. I love you.

5 comments:

  1. Susie, you are so special both inside and out! It would be hard to not fall in love with you! Thanks for being my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carole, Yes… you are the friend with the beautiful smile. It's all because of you, we kept returning. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are precious beyond words! I love you, Susie! (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete