Wednesday, December 24, 2014

We are still together...

It's Christmas Eve Day, & who has time to read this blog? And… why do I have time to write this blog? Truth is… I just have a few Christmas thoughts I'd like to share. I think some of what is on my mind must surely have to do with my age. For some reason, my mind keeps going back to my childhood Christmases…

This night was always magical. I loved going to the evening church service complete with candle light. Afterwards, we always went to a family gathering with foods I didn't recognize. I loved this gathering, but I was always worried that I needed to get honme to get to sleep so Santa would come.

Finally, we would get home. We could open one gift. Bingo. It was always a nightgown! I couldn't wait to put it on & have my Daddy tuck me into bed. Yes… he checked under my bed, in my closet, brought me a glass of milk, said prayers… It was our nightly ritual, complete with a kiss on my forehead.

I'd lie in my bed & listen to whatever conversation I could hear going on in the living room which was right outside my bedroom door. Eventually, I would drift off to sleep only to awaken at 5am to see what Santa had brought. It was always a doll, & I was always happy beyond measure. My brothers & I opened our gifts exclaiming with all the wonderment one house could hold. We were blessed, & we felt it.

Sometimes we counted oranges & apples. Hmmnnn…. was Santa real? I think in our hearts, we had it all figured out long before we ever admitted. We wanted to believe. After all, if we didn't believe, he might not come anymore. So now, we are all grown up. Our parents reside in Heaven. Our children our grown.

We have our memories. Yes, our precious memories. We have our faith. We want to believe. We do believe. Only, our belief has gone from Santa to our Savior, our Hope for all mankind. From one small family, 3 small families have come. Our children have grown. Some of them have babes of their own. We are no longer physically together on Christmas morn, but in our hearts, we have our precious memories. Yes… we are still together.

No comments:

Post a Comment