Wednesday, December 31, 2014

why I can't sleep

This morning I awakened too early & couldn't go back to sleep. As I lie in my bed wishing I could shut my mind off, I soon realized I couldn't. After all, it's New Year's Eve Day (always a special day in my childhood memories). Every year, we had a party with my cousins. So much fun! My cousin always spent the night, & it was her birthday (double the fun)!

We played games, ate fancy food (like pizza), & celebrated the New Year. At what we thought was midnight, my brother (the Boy Scout) would open the front door, step outside, & play Taps on his bugle. His little sister thought this was pretty cool. It wasn't til I was in my 40's that I realized the joke was on me. Every year my folks set the clocks ahead. I thought it was midnight, but it was really only 9pm. I'm still stunned by this!

So… along came a marriage, settling down, having babies, & actually making a few friends. Before we knew it, we had a new New Year's tradition (celebrating with our new friends & their children). How did this happen? Our once new friends are now our long time friends. My Goodness… we've been spending New Year's Eve together for almost 25 years (when we are all well & in town).

One year in particular sticks out in my mind. It was the year 2 of our little ones did the Macarena in their skivvies. They were only 3 or 4. When I think about it, I still can't help but chuckle. Their big sisters put them up to it. There were the "Dolly" years. She'd sit by the fire with us in our old den. She was always a part of the party. She'd greet each person as they came to the door & even take them for a ride on her back. Oh…I miss her!

So, as I close out this blog, it's important that I get to my point. Yesterday, my husband & I were reminiscing about New Year's past (since our children were little). My point, & he nodded in agreement. These friends that we gather with; they have loved us unconditionally. They have been there for us through thick & thin. I think that's why I can't go back to sleep. I'm too excited about spending New Year's with them.


No comments:

Post a Comment