Friday, January 18, 2013

Life...

Where do you go in your mind when there are no simple answers & maybe no earthly answers? How do you find peace when you cannot change  your circumstances? What do you do when you cannot please another person, & hope seems so far away? How do you find joy amongst heartache?

I believe that God has created us with a wonderful capability that allows us to laugh in times of sorrow. I first discovered this ability about 19 years ago after my beloved dad passed away. My mom & I were in despair, yet we could still laugh. I remember marveling with her at this wonder. It took us both by surprise.

Rick Warren (author of A Purpose Driven Life) once wrote that he used to think that life was like a roller coaster, a journey if you will, of ups & downs. He later realized in the midst of his wife's breast cancer that life is more like a set of rail road tracks. Simultaneously on this journey called life, we have 2 tracks. One is what is going on in life that is good (our blessings), & the other is made up of our trials (our sorrows & our hardships).

So how do we learn to find joy (or at least peace) when we have areas in our life that land us on the bottom rung of our ladder?  When we feel as if life is spinning out of control, how do we find our center? For me, it helps to face my realities. Recently, I was wishing away an MRI. I don't mind undergoing most medical  tests. I'm just not a good waiter. Waiting is not part of my DNA.

One day during this time of waiting, I told my husband I'd had enough. I just wanted to be done with tests & waiting. His response... I think this is going to be a part of your life. In other words... Get used to it. Actually his words were very comforting because #1  I believe he is right. #2  I must adjust my expectations for my life. Maybe I wouldn't choose such, but since I can't change my reality, I have to work on what I can change.

I can't change the future screenings & labs I will need, but I can change my view of them & how I wait. It's not easy, but with God, I believe All things are possible. I also believe I will have plenty of opportunities to practice what I just wrote. It will not come easy for me but that is what keeps me dependent on God (which is the best place to be) whatever my circumstances.

Most of life, I cannot change. If I could, I would. Since I can't, the best I have to offer is even better than having the ability to change things. It's a Heavenly Father who works all things for His ultimate good. Every good gift is from above & all things work for good for those who love the Lord & are called according to His purpose. I can hold fast to these promises & know that even when I don't know, God does know. He has my back (even when I can't feel it).

No comments:

Post a Comment