Friday, December 28, 2012

70 X 7

This morning I feel led to write about forgiveness. I don't know exactly why this subject has been on my mind lately, but it has been interlaced through many of my thoughts. What I want to say is this... Forgiving another person is not only a gift you give that person but is a gift to yourself as well. Having been  on the receiving end of forgiveness, I can honestly testify that there is nothing sweeter than forgiveness.

Forgiving others is a choice. Yes, we are commanded to forgive (70 X 7), It's not a natural response, & sometimes it takes much work. If we could forget, it would be so much easier. I have found that sometimes I cannot forgive on my own. I need God to help me. In fact, I may be so haunted by my hurt that I have to go back to God 70 X 7 times just to say, "Lord help me. I want to forgive."

A few years ago, I felt I had been wronged to my inner most being. My heart ached. I couldn't understand what had happened, but I knew if I couldn't forget, bitterness would eat me up the rest of my life. Try as I might, I relived my hurt every day of my life over & over. I wanted to forgive, but on my own, the hurt was too deep.

Daily, when my thoughts gravitated toward my hurt, when a lump welled up in my heart, when tears filled my eyes, I relived hurtful conversations. This process went on for far too long as far as I was concerned. I just wanted escape. I wanted to forget. I wanted to walk away & never be reminded of this hurt again.

So... I went back to God again & again. I had to ask Him to forgive me of my thoughts. I asked Him to forgive me for not forgiving. I asked Him to help me forgive. My ability to forgive & heal depended on Him. I believe this is why we can't forget. If we could, we wouldn't need God's help. Forgiveness would be so much easier if we could forget!

As the New Year approaches, I think forgiveness is possibly the sweetest gift you can give yourself or another person. Forgiveness brings peace. It's God's plan. My forgiveness could never outdo His. I have received the ultimate forgiveness from Him. "Lord, help me to forgive myself & others."

No comments:

Post a Comment