Saturday, June 22, 2013

Little did I know...

Today was a simple day. I spent it with my best friend. We awoke to a dog who wanted to be fed and a kitty who just wanted affection. After we got the dog fed & out for a few minutes, we decided to have breakfast in bed. Yes... we spent our Saturday morning in bed drinking a Coke (me) & a Mountain Dew (him) with our breakfast bars. Probably not the healthiest start to a day, but I'm quite sure the fun made up for our bad choices.

Next on our agenda... taking in a movie. His choice. Just what we needed. After that, we stopped for a quick dinner & came home to relax & watch the Hawks. Today was a perfect day for me. I got to spend it with my favorite person, all day. It was a lazy day, but I think it was just what the doctor ordered. Just the 2 of us, enjoying each other's company. We haven't had a day like this in a long time.

Little did we know back in 1976 when we met, the ups & downs we would face. I remember my first defining moment... I was asked to a dance by another boy. I looked him in the eye & said, "I'm sorry. I'm waiting for someone else to ask me." How could I know that one small step would be one of the best decisions of my life? How could I know at 14 or 15 what I was choosing?

Fact is... no one can know. We cannot know how our own character will develop, let alone our mate's. I am grateful my husband fell in love with my heart. If someone or something is important to me, it becomes important to him. If I have a need, he meets it if he can. If I have a want, he fulfills it even if it isn't a need. He always has a listening ear. His advice is always sound.

I am thankful that we enjoy the simple things in life. Being together is enough. Anything added to that is frosting on the cake. We've had difficult days throughout our journey. We've had heart breaking days. We've faced the unknown. We've been hurt. But when I look back, I see how we've grown together through thick & thin. My respect for him is beyond the respect I have for any other person on this earth. Little did I know...

No comments:

Post a Comment