Tuesday, June 4, 2013

"Shirley"

In my last blog, I mentioned the hardships of others, but I did not elaborate. I believe it is only fair to tell my own stories, yet sometimes, I am so tempted to share the difficulties others face. My heart bleeds for them, & I wish I could do more. Of course, caring for others takes the focus off of your own troubles, & at the very least, puts them in perspective.

Tomorrow I head off for surgery for more reconstruction. I'm not really dreading it. I'm just sad it will keep me from my new grandson for a few days. It will hinder my lifting him for a few weeks. I'm beginning to wonder why on earth I scheduled this surgery so close to my grand baby's birth. I guess there is never a good time for surgery.

As I mentioned in my last blog, I got to spend my mom's 83rd birthday with her. We truly enjoyed our time together. We laughed on & off throughout the whole visit. When it came time for me to leave, she was more than teary eyed. Good-byes have always been hard for her. It seems the older she gets, the more pitiful our good-byes become.

About 10 minutes before our departure, my mother gave me her "Shirley Temple" doll.  Yes, on her birthday, she gave me a treasure! Needless to say, I was touched. It was hard for me to take her beloved doll, but I knew it was the right thing to do. After all, I can always take "Shirley" back if she is missed. It's hard for my mom to part with her treasures. Not only did she catch me off guard, she gave me something very meaningful.

My mother's trials are hard. As she moves into her current phase of life, so many things are out of control. Her uncertainties are too numerous to mention. Oh how I wish I could make her better. I wish I could dote on her every day. Our times together are too short & far between. Daily, I pray for her; I thank God for her.

It's time for me to go to bead, so I can face my surgery tomorrow. Recovery will take some time, but other than that, I should be fine. I must get up early so I can eat a lil something as my surgery isn't until much later in the day. Hopefully, all will go well. Someone dear to my heart is having an MRI tomorrow. My mind will be on her...

1 comment:

  1. You are amazing in your writings and putting down your thoughts as always, my friend! I know where you get your kindness and empathy for others -- from your sweet mom. I wish I knew her but I feel sometimes as if I do -- through you!! Goodnight and my thoughts will be with you tomorrow, Susie!
    Love, Sherry

    ReplyDelete