Thursday, June 6, 2013

Oldies

Yesterday was quite a day! Waiting until 4:30 for surgery is not easy for me. I awoke jittery from the get-go. I didn't expect this, because I wasn't even dreading my surgery. Funny how the body can react physically even when the mind is unaware of the toll our circumstances are taking on us. My husband & I went out for breakfast since my pre op instructions said no food/drink 8 hours prior to surgery. Looking back, I am sure this was a good decision. I would have been more hypoglycemic than I was had I not eaten breakfast & had my ice tea. Being hypoglycemic on top of nervous is a sickly combination for me.

Of course... waiting for surgery is inevitable. The staff asks you the same set of questions 3 times that they already asked you twice on the phone. It's quite a list when you have my health history. After you get your blood pressure & other stats recorded, you are ready to go. However, you wait. I am thankful I like my doctor. He is worth the wait, & I credit him for my not dreading my surgery. He is not only skilled; he is always kind. That combination takes away my fear.

I don't think I'd be human if I didn't admit that going through days like yesterday reopen some of my past fears. I feel as though I have put so much behind me & moved on... Then... surgery day arrives, & somehow those old feelings creep right back into my brain & gnaw at me. I think perhaps this contributed to my jitteriness. I begin asking my husband questions like... Well... I don't really want to put them in writing. He doesn't give me "feel good" answers like he used to. We are both too in touch with reality to find any comfort in false security.

So here's what I enjoyed yesterday: a wonderful doctor whom I trust, a kind nurse when I awoke from surgery, & my sweet husband. The Snack Pack pudding was pretty good too. My husband took the whole day off because we thought my surgery would be earlier in the day. So... we got up early & went out for breakfast. I had one of my favorite items & some ice tea to jump start my day. We came home, & I went on a cooking spree so I'd have a few healthy things to eat over the next few days. The most taxing part of recovery for me is not being able to use my arms. I miss them.

Finally, the time for my surgery arrived. We waited, & we waited. That's expected. That's just how it goes. However, my husband randomly decided to serenade me by singing my favorite "Oldies." As I sat there in my gown all hooked up to my IV, he sang to me & tapped his foot to get the rhythm going. I was in my glory. His voice is such a comfort to me. I'd do it again today just to have him sing to me.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that it went pretty well. God is watching over you Susie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well how nice to be serenaded that way. What an extra special blessing.

    ReplyDelete