Wednesday, January 8, 2014

just around the corner...

Today had a kind of retro feeling... I accompanied my daughter & her precious newborn daughter to the Pediatrician. Yes... the very same Pediatrician I took her to. In some ways, it seemed like yesterday when I took my 3 daughters there. I don't know how it could when you consider how many years have elapsed in my life, when you stop to consider how our lives have changed since the good ole days of child rearing.

I made many visits to this Pediatrician in my day. We had lots of ear infections, runny noses, & a whole host of other troubles. He always comforted me & cared for each of my children. Finding him was a Godsend. After all, he listened to what I had to say. So now, some 20+ years later, he will do the same for my daughter. Again, a Godsend.

Our lil one is so precious & tiny. She was born early, & her adjustment into this world has taken a little more work than usual. However, she is growing. She is getting stronger, & looking more like a newborn everyday. It's amazing how anxious you are to have your baby, but once the sweet little bundle arrives, you become keenly aware of the importance of each day spent in the womb.

My daughter's OB said that each day in the womb is worth 4 in the NICU. Wow! That's incredible. As much as we can do medically for a premature baby, there is nothing quite like the perfect balance of the mama's womb. So... I stare at my lil grand daughter (so precious & so tiny), & I can't help but marvel at the fact that she should still be in her mother's womb.

She has a beautiful covering of strawberry blonde hair. Most of the time, she is swaddled up in her receiving blanket like a little peanut. When my daughter changes her or tends to her needs, I look at her little hands, her tiny feet, her precious & small face. I watch her move, & I usually find myself stuck on 2 thoughts. #1  She is so beautiful. #2  She is so tiny. I am mesmerized by both of these qualities, her beauty & her tininess.

I look at this little treasure, & I thank God for her. I see the look of love in her parents eyes, & I remember those early days. I watch her parents care for her & for each other. I sit in silent awe.
I feel as though I've been allowed something very special. It's my honor, my privilege. 2 years ago today, I was haunted by making one of the biggest decisions of my life concerning surgery. Little did I know what precious days God had for me just around the corner.


No comments:

Post a Comment