Friday, January 10, 2014

There are too many...

Too many people are suffering with cancer. The emotional anguish is worse than the physical aspect (which is awful in & of itself). Every day I pray for my friends who suffer. Every day it seems another person's life is victimized by cancer. In the past week, 2 children have died. Both of them had infectious smiles. I didn't know them personally, but I felt like I did.


2 friends had surgery this week & await results. 1 friend was denied surgery until a mass in his lung is diagnosed. I have 3 friends on chemo. No one is immune to cancer. It seems to come in all sizes & shapes as do its victims. It goes after all ages, both sexes, & never comes at a good time. No... there is never a good time to have cancer.

Recently I was deep in thought about the impact of cancer on my own life. I know I grew so much from this journey, yet I could never wish it on another soul. When I learn that another person is walking this journey, I try to offer comfort. I know that they will meet God in a whole new way, but it will only be because of their suffering. It's sad that it takes suffering to find God in a way we've never known Him.

So... when I am told someone has cancer, I pray that he/she will know God's presence. I pray that they will realize that His grace is sufficient, that He truly is all we need. When one suffers from so many unknowns, they begin to grasp the fact that this world is a temporary home. It' seems like forever but truly, our life is just a vapor in the wind. Yesterday a small child with a magnetic smile died of cancer.

A dear friend said she doesn't know why this happens. I had to agree. There are no answers. I don't know why little ones are taken Home. I don't think I could bear such a loss. All I know is that each little life is fragile, & perhaps this keeps us from taking their precious lives for granted. If they were invincible, maybe we wouldn't treasure them in the same way.

If this life on earth were forever, if loved ones lasted forever, if we were never sick, if we only experienced mountaintops, if we never suffered, I'm afraid we would be shallow human beings. I'm afraid we would take our loved ones for granted. I'm afraid we would miss out on a relationship with Christ. I'm afraid we would have no need for Him. I'm afraid we would have no faith.


No comments:

Post a Comment