Wednesday, February 5, 2014

a gift

2 things happened today which tickled my fancy. My daughter (mother of newborn baby girl) texted me a video of her daughter sleeping. Every time my daughter kissed her daughter, the precious little bundle of love smiled. She kissed her 3 or 4 times, & every time, the baby smiled. I couldn't help but think how much this darling little being has grown & learned since her early arrival into our world. Still so helpless & tiny, she is growing nicely. She isn't setting off her alarm, & she is bonding with her parents. I've had a cold so I haven't been near her for a week or so. I miss her.

My older daughter (mother of 8 month old grandson) sent me a picture of her son crawling with a shape  in each hand. The shapes are from a toy I gave him. All day long, he carries his shapes in each hand as he crawls. He likes the blue ones. He is such a happy little fella. I am amazed at his color preference. I know he probably doesn't know blue, but he likes blue.

There are 3 possibilities here: #1 My life is so dull I have nothing to think about if these small things make me so dog gone happy. #2  It doesn't take much to make me happy.  #3  Thinking about my grandchildren is a happy place for me. I would go with #'s 2 & 3. It really takes little to make my day, & when I think about my grandchildren, they warm my heart. It's an effortless way to take my mind off my troubles… It's healing.

I love to dream about them coming over to see me in my new home. I love to think about them growing up, running around my house, & calling out to me in their sweet lil voices. I picture myself tending to their needs & laughing with them at their silly little antics. My mom was such a good grandma. I have to believe this picture I see is a gift from her. She was always so loving with my girls.

She made them cinnamon toast with such delight. She used a toaster oven. She buttered the bread & shook the cinnamon & sugar all over the top. Then she toasted it. What a treat! She boiled eggs every year for them to dye at Easter. She had an Easter Egg hunt for them complete with a golden egg.
She watched "Mary Poppins" & other movies with them. She took them to the beach & to her favorite hamburger joint. She let each of them interview her in 7th grade for a school project on John F. Kennedy.

She lovingly put them first, time after time. When they cried, she hugged them. When they fought, she  somehow remained neutral. She always bought them their best Christmas gift. That's how she wanted it. She fixed their hair; she kissed their boo boos. They called her on the phone when they lost a tooth or got a good report card. She came to their plays, their recitals, their Homecomings. Her pretty blue eyes sparkled. Her legacy lives on...


No comments:

Post a Comment