Saturday, February 22, 2014

Guess what?

It's been a while since I've blogged. It isn't that I haven't had anything to blog, I've just been moving. We are settling in & very thankful to have a new home. I feel like we hit the jackpot. Our home is nicer than I imagined (if that's possible). It's just right for us. It isn't any bigger than our old home. In fact, it has fewer rooms, the basement will remain unfinished, & there is no upstairs. However, I have a jet tub to soak my weary bones & a fire place that serves the living room & the bedroom. How cool is that!

I have spent the last week pounding holes in my walls hanging pictures. Decorating has never been my thing, but I wanted to do it myself so it would be "our home." Just the way we want it, & I believe it is. The furniture arrived on Wednesday, & I'm thanking God it all fits. Our measurements were accurate, & the salesman who helped me knew his game. I am grateful because it is not returnable. Yikes. That's scary!

In the midst of all this, I have been watching my sweet grand babies intermittently & going to therapy. My therapy is through IPMR, & it is targeting every facet of my being. From occupational therapy (OT) to balance to physical therapy (PT), counseling, & a few more things… It's keeping me very busy, but I find it fascinating. I would love to be skilled to help others in any of these areas. I am a work in progress.

I'm not sure I will make progress, but it is worth a try. I'm sure it will help strengthen my muscles, help me compensate, & be my exercise. It is humbling in some ways. Sometimes, I feel childish as I have young adults teaching me so much & catching me as I fall. The therapists are so nice; I am amazed by their respect & encouragement. It's as if I have entered a whole new world.

Getting all of this therapy takes time & discipline. In truth, I haven't been a good student lately. I have pushed myself way too hard settling in to our new home. I have not been consistently using my pump for my arm. I've been haphazardly wearing my compression sleeves. Likely, I will reap what I sew & regret abusing myself. It's hard for me to succumb to my limitations. I get so frustrated with myself when my hands don't work as they should.

Daily I have wanted to cry because I have been frustrated in one way or another. The worst part… every time I become frustrated, I flashback to my mom as she went through her very similar frustrations. Then… I always end up asking myself if I was compassionate enough toward her. She never really understood her hardships. I understand mine. I always thought that would help. I thought I would gracefully accept my challenges. Guess what? I'm not.

No comments:

Post a Comment