Saturday, June 28, 2014

It's authenticity.

It's been a long time… Not because I haven't had the itch but because my mind has been swirling around in a storm. I've been processing life & coming to a few realizations. In my younger years, I think I defined courage as Superman. The thoughts of my favorite superhero rescuing me from my perils were enough for me. I didn't really take the time to ponder the meaning of courage much beyond my simple view.

In the last few years, courage has become a more meaningful word in my life. It's not about Superman any more (even though he remains my favorite). Nope… courage is sometimes silent. Courage is facing the truth even when it's ugly. It's letting go of our dirty little secrets. It's being accountable. It's consistency, being the same person regardless of the company we keep. Not leading a double life.

Courage is stepping into a place filled with memories (even when the flashbacks are painful) for the sake of righting a wrong. Courage is the miracle of having a baby even though you've twice been diagnosed with cancer & told it's the impossible. It's working on an Oncology floor when you yourself are a Survivor. Courage is being strong for your child who suffers.

Courage surrenders. Courage gives up the lies. It seeks the truth & faces it. Courage lives life amongst all the uncertainties & lives it abundantly. It's smiling through the pain & counting our blessings in times of deep sorrows. Sometimes courage suffers, but it suffers with grace. It's trusting that God has the whole picture & that there is eternal purpose in suffering.

Courage is holding on when things become unbearable. It's loving someone in spite of their failures. It mimics Christ. It seeks the truth. It lays down its life without guarantee. Courage asks for help. It walks through life with others. It's obedience without understanding. It's trust. It's forgiveness. It's seeing ourselves for who we really are. It's allowing God to reshape our hearts. It's vulnerability.  It's transparency. It authenticity.


No comments:

Post a Comment