Saturday, January 3, 2015

taking it all down...

What a mixture of emotions hit people throughout the Christmas season. For some, there is much anticipation followed by disappointment. For others, little expectation & little celebration. Then there are those who are coerced into celebrating even tho' they'd rather keep it low key. There are those who suffered through terrible tragedy during the "happiest time of year." Some were grieving the loss of a loved one. A few are just thankful the season is over. And… some are sad because it is over.

Whatever your situation, just remember there is really no wrong or right. "It is what it is." It's time (for most) to take the decorations down & prepare for the cold winter (if you live in my area). I have to admit, as I took my "Christmas" down yesterday, I felt a sense of relief. My house seemed a little bigger (a little cleaner too). Knowing that rain & possible ice & snow are in the near future gave me a good feeling to get the outdoor decor inside.

My emotions are a mixture. Overall, I anticipate good. Deep in my soul, I know I really don't know what will befall my family & loved ones in 2015. I am thankful I do not have a crystal ball & no psychic powers. I am thankful it is my job to "take one day at a time." Thinking too far ahead & imagining the worst, is too much to bear. Knowing "it is what it is" & "we will deal with whatever comes our way" gives me a small bit of comfort.

I like the thoughts of moving forward, leaving behind the baggage of 2014 & years past. If you only knew, there's some heavy duty stuff. I have learned to cherish my joyful moments. I define them as the moments where sheer joy bubbles up through my soul. They are the moments that I cannot contain my smile. They are the moments where I feel so happy, & I just don't really know why. Here's the truth. They don't last.

No… something else comes along to steel my joy. It could be personal or could be the struggle of a loved one. It could be anticipated, or it could be a huge "slap in the face." I've endured a few "slaps in the face" in 2014, & I've felt unspeakable joy. So… whatever you are feeling at this moment, know that it, too, will pass. If it's sadness, please know it doesn't have to last. If it's joy, please savor it.

No comments:

Post a Comment