Wednesday, April 8, 2015

"Wiggie"

Long ago, as a young adult mother, I remember one of my favorite preachers saying something that has stuck with me for a life time. Honestly, his words scared me. I had grown up with a mentality that if you do right, everything will be alright. It's true that great peace comes in doing the right thing, but doing right does not make everything alright.

If it did, some of the situations we as humans find ourselves in, would never happen. For instance, you can be driving along the highway following all of the Rules of The Road, only to be sideswiped, & ultimately end up in the median (air bags imploded). You can live your life with kindness, but it does not mean others will be kind to you. You can raise your children with certain hopes, but in the end, it's really up to them.

You can live your life with faith, a faith that is real, a faith that stands up to the hardships of life, but it doesn't make you immune to tragedy. Today, I write about a dear friend. She has the deepest faith of anyone I know. In all of her suffering, she gives the glory to God, & still, she trusts in Him. She, too, is a Breast Cancer Survivor. In fact, she was originally diagnosed a year before me, & she reached out to me with comfort.

Her journey with this dreadful disease is somewhere between its 4th & 5th year. She's asked for prayer that her insurance company will cover a new chemo recently FDA approved in February. It is thought to be the drug of choice for her battle.  She admirably rests in His plan for her life & will keep praying for His protection & provision. "He knows best" (her words). In the meantime, she suffers from lymphedema, nausea, an infection, a high fever, & the lengthy list goes on…

In her view is an upcoming wedding for her beloved daughter. I am sure she has other hopes & dreams as well. Another college graduation, potentially more weddings, & maybe some grandchildren. I can only imagine the things she hopes to be here to see as her young adult children transform into full fledged adults.

She has weathered the storm (again & again). She is a Tornado Survivor too. In fact, at the time of the storm, she was borrowing my wig, affectionately named "Wiggie." She ("Wiggie") was found after the storm & returned to my dear friend. However, her condition was so bad, my friend couldn't bear to return her to me. No worries, I never planned on wearing "Wiggie" again.

So… I say all this to say what my pastor said long ago. No one is immune to tragedy. It doesn't matter if you are kind. If you have all your ducks in a row, if you've written your will, or if you have a deep faith. Yes…those things matter, but they do not protect you from cancer. Even the nicest, most faithful person suffers the journey.

I ask you, please pray for her. She is Brenda Vannette. She is faithful (oh so faithful). Yet… she suffers. Please give generously to this year's Race for The Cure. It's her 30th anniversary. That's right, The Race for The Cure is 30 years old this year. You don't have to give to my team; it all goes to the same cause. The reason I beg? Because research saves lives, & no one is immune.

No comments:

Post a Comment