Sunday, January 29, 2012

True Intimacy

Today our Pastor pointed out that it is impossible for two people to know everything about each other. He said he sometimes even surprises himself when he says or does something unexpected. I have to agree. There have been times in my life when I wanted to insert my foot in my own mouth. I regretfully said something & wished I could take it back. So... it stands to reason: If I can't know myself 100%, then I can't know another person 100%, not even my husband.

I married my high school sweetheart. We in a sense grew up together. We were 13 & 14 when we met, the summer before our freshman year (at a carwash). We've now been married for almost 28 years, & best friends for 36 years.  I think in those 36 years, we've been through almost every emotion known to man. We have loved, laughed, cried, fought, made up, comforted each other, feared for each other, rejoiced together, worshiped together, suffered together, kept each other's secrets, & so on throughout the years.

We have buried my sweet father & his beloved mother. We have seen each other through sickness & health. We have raised 3 lovely daughters, loved 4 dogs, & pampered 2 cats. We've tried camping & even canoeing with a sail (not a good idea). We have married off 2 daughters. We've weathered an empty nest & found ourselves more deeply in love than we could imagine.

Over the past 36 years, we've put our heads & hearts together to make some very difficult decisions. We have stood by each other & protected each other. We have angered each other & yelled at each other. We have said our apologies & forgiven each other time & again (even when an apology was never given). We have laughed so hard we cried. We've laughed at each other, with each other, & even at ourselves.

I believe the 2 of us have shared a deep intimacy that grows even deeper with each chapter of our lives. Our love seems to grow stronger, even as our struggles grow greater.  I guess it's possible for our intimacy to increase because we can never know each other 100%.  Here's where the profound reveals itself: We have a Father (God) who knows each of us 100%. He knows me better than I know myself. He knows my future, how my story will end. Perhaps this is why I can trust in Him. He will work all things for my ultimate good because I love Him.

The true test of character shows itself in how we handle our trials. In a similar fashion, I think true intimacy shows itself in how a married couple handles changes that come their way. I have a husband that has vowed to love me through this journey, whatever the outcome, & however it changes me. I may have some heavy concerns, but knowing my best friend will not forsake me brings tears to my eyes & peace to my heart that is unfathomable.

2 comments:

  1. Susie, I can say I was part of you and Rob when he couldn't even clear the windshield with the defroster. Remember that night when I think we went to the movies....we all laughed in the car....lets see Summer of 1977 I believe. You all have weathered a lot and you two will make it through this. You have your cousins behind you and you will come through this with flying colors and be more stronger than you are now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God sure knew what He was doing when he made a woman for Adam. What a sense of humor our God has. How so very different we can be from our spouse, and yet how very perfect over time those differences change us, and grow us together through what life brings our way.
    I pray for you both right now as you navigate through this difficult season.
    I have a magnet that remains on my fridge that says,"I don't know what the future holds, but I know WHO holds my future."
    With God, and the love of that best friend of yours, I have a tears right along with you.

    ReplyDelete