Friday, January 27, 2012

Writing My Story

Recently, I began to think of my life as my story. How do I write my story when I don't know the ending? The answer came to me... "One sentence at a time." I was thinking about what kind of legacy I want to leave. What I'd like to have people remember about me.

I was out to lunch with two much younger women & their beautiful children. We were talking about how sometimes we wonder, "Is it enough to be JUST a mother?"  My response is YES.  Because I am 10 years older than one of them & twenty years older than the other, I decided to share my wisdom which comes only from having raised adult children.  I value my relationships with my three grown daughters more than I value my life. If I don't live to see another day (which I am quite sure I will), I know that each of my daughters has my heart inside her own heart. If I am not here to guide them when their own children struggle, I know that each of them has my story written on their heart & I will live on through them. I know that they will be good mothers.

How do I know this? Because I have invested my life in them, my most precious gifts from God. I don't regret one moment I have spent nurturing them, in conflict with them, or learning from them. I know that they have a compass in their heart that will lead them to find the answers they need in life. I thank God for allowing me the gift of TIME with my children.

Here's a few things that I trust they will remember about me:
  1  Ice-cream tastes better in the summer because the kids are out of school.
  2  Music is more fun to listen to when the kids are in the car.
  3  She loved to bake cookies.
  4  Too much homework ruins family life.
  5  Kindness matters.
  6  Dogs make good soul mates.
  7  The best way to follow Christ is by loving others.
  8  The beach is a good place to find Heaven on earth.
  9  If you want to know what's going on in your kids life, be their chauffeur.
 10 Write your story one sentence at a time.  

2 comments:

  1. This is a very precious list for the girls to remember you by. Most importantly you have led each of them to a loving relationship with God. Though someday you will be apart, one in Heaven and the others still on earth, you know you will one day all rejoice together in Heaven with our Father God.

    ReplyDelete