Monday, April 1, 2013

& now, they are adults...

Watching your children grow up is one of the most fascinating experiences in life. Yes... I wanted to freeze every stage of their lives when they were young. I loved them as babies. I thought the preschool age was adorable. As we moved into the elementary school years, I did all I could to help out at school, with Girl Scouts, little groups at church. Whatever they were into, I encouraged & enjoyed. I laughed a lot of laughs, wiped a few tears, & cried some myself.

One of our favorites was riding our bikes to the candy store on The Square. I don't know about the kids, but this always brightened my day. Summer days spent at the Park Pool were the best. Sometimes I'd even put them in their jammies after an evening swim & tuck them right into bed. The Carnival that came once a year was a big deal. Armband night, of course, was the best deal.

We loved watching movies together. We still do. Celebrating birthdays was special. Always a cake & presents, sometimes a party. Oh those parties... what memories! Sometimes they were awful. Ha! Often we stayed a week at Nana's. How she could endure a week of us still causes me to marvel. We were a handful! We loved our pets. Always a family dog & a cat. In fact, when I look back, I usually reference the stage in our family according to the family pets. Yes... they enriched our lives beyond measure. Each one forever holds a special place.

The teen age years, naturally brought new wonders & concerns. These years were not easy, but so fulfilling. Looking back, I'd have to say, keeping the lines of communication alive was key to survival. I loved being their chauffeur before they could drive. I learned more in the car with their friends than I did from most of our conversations at home all put together. We had our sad times too. Wisdom teeth always scared me. Boys, boys, boys... Hmmnnnn.... that's a topic all its own. However, just thinking about them, makes me smile (mostly).

Tomorrow, my baby turns 21. Yes, my baby becomes an adult. No... this didn't happen overnight. It's been a life time of growth, hard times, fun times, lots of laughter & tears along the way. Lots of questions, lots of tender moments. Memories beyond belief. Precious memories. Watching my 3 daughters grow & become adults fascinates me. I know I'm just a little bit older, but that's okay. Looking back at their journeys, seeing who they were, & who they've become tickles me.

As I page through the memories in my head, I see bits & pieces that contributed to today's young woman. I see bits of their Dad, & I see bits of me. Scary, I know. But most of all, I see beautiful young adults, beautiful beyond measure. I see their traits, & I'm in awe. Wow! Look what God did! No... they're not perfect, no more perfect than their parents. But... when you shake the whole bag up, they are remarkable. No... I'm not bragging. I'm just thankful for the beautiful moments we share!


3 comments:

  1. Sweet. Thanks for posting, Susie! You're a great mom and will be a FABULOUS grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jill! I'm so excited to be feeling healthy to welcome my new grand baby! Love you!

    ReplyDelete