Monday, April 29, 2013

"Puff the Magic Dragon"

When I was in grade school, I had a favorite teacher who would bring her guitar to school & sing songs. One of her favorites (& mine) was "Puff the Magic Dragon." As a child, I didn't really understand the meaning of this song, I just liked it. Yesterday, I had an experience which brought "Puff" to mind with almost more meaning than I could handle.

After living in our home for 17 years, I decided it was time to clean our basement. This was a monumental job for me. I have been procrastinating for months.  For some reason, last Friday, I decided to get started. As with most projects, getting started is the hardest part. Once I started, I couldn't seem to stop.

Last night, it was time to tackle underneath the stair well. This space was the American Girl Club House for my 2 youngest daughters. It was plenty big for 2 little girls, their Bitty Babies, their American Girl Dolls, horses, & paraphernalia. They spent hours in their clubhouse playing life. They fed their dolls, dressed them, taught them, fixed their hair, & cared for them with all their might.

Every Birthday & Christmas involved an American Girl doll, outfit, or other necessity. Last night as I crawled beneath the stairwell, precious memories flooded my soul. Just as the song said, "Little Jackie Paper came no more." The clubhouse was left just how they played that last day, probably 13 or so years ago. Babies were in their beds. Food was on the highchair. The horse was in his stall. The American Girls were dressed in their pretty outfits. Of course, their hair was even fixed. A little birthday cake still plays "Happy Birthday" when wound. I just sat in amazement.

I wanted to pause & relive a few memories. I saw my 2 pretty little girls playing life. I pictured them doing their dolls' hair, feeding them, tucking them in, & taking it all very seriously. Life is strange. That was my life watching them play at life. Now... I'm watching them live life. My oldest is about to have a baby (any day now). My middle daughter just moved into a home with her sweet husband. The youngest is away at school, but I've no doubt her day will come.

Watching them play life was fun. Yes... we had our moments, but the precious times were plenty. I savored those moments then, & last night I relived them, still savoring them. As my little grandson is about to arrive, there is excitement in the air. As my middle daughter settles into her home, there is delight in their new life. Beautiful flowers are springing up everywhere. Their dog now has a yard to run & explore. They even have a little fish pond. I feel so blessed to witness such joy.

As I reminisced on the floor of the clubhouse, I was overwhelmed by the passage of time. It was as if time was frozen in that clubhouse. It took me back (almost as if I could actually see them caring for their dollies). The memories are oh so sweet. The reality is just as sweet. Yes... time has passed. Little Jackie Paper is all grown up. I remember the lump that used to form in my throat as a young child. When Puff sadly slipped into his cave, I could hardly take it. Last night, as I washed up the Bitty Babies & tended to the American Girls, I marveled at real life. No... oddly enough I didn't have a lump in my throat. I just felt thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment