Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Scared?

For some odd reason, my thoughts are on The Cancer Center today. As I was driving along in the pretty sunshine, I was having flashbacks. Strangely so, they were not sad or regretful. These flashbacks were peaceful. I was thinking of how The Cancer Center melted away my fears & equipped me to face cancer.

From the first chemo therapy, I had peace. I remember sitting on a bench crying one day because I didn't know how I would face the next day. The steroids were having a big effect on me in more ways than one, & I could barely function emotionally. As tears began to stream down my cheeks, my chemo nurse & her nurse in training stopped to ask me how I was. Without batting an eye, they began to comfort me & reassure me. They sat with me until I regained my composure. They hugged me & helped me navigate my new journey.

I felt loved. I had a few answers, a next step to facing my journey. I didn't feel quite so alone. Scared? Well... yes. My fears still come & go, but they don't seem to rob me of my joy. I shared with a friend this morning that I don't regret my cancer journey. Yes, it has robbed me of a few things, but when you see them as a trade off for your life, their importance grows slightly pale.

I'm sad to say cancer is everywhere. A day doesn't go by that I don't hear someone's sad story. I hope that I can be just 1/2 the comfort that my 2 nurses were to me. At times, I've felt as though I have a whole community walking  my journey with me. There's my Facebook community, the community in which I live, my church, friends, & of course family. To be lifted up in prayer & be encouraged by so many people is one of the greatest treasures of this journey. Words cannot explain.


No comments:

Post a Comment