Sunday, September 22, 2013

Glass 1/2 Full

Today as I sat in church, I decided that I want to see myself as a glass half full. I have a few limitations, but who doesn't? Instead of dwelling on my losses, I think I need to dwell on all the things I can do. I was wondering what a person is supposed to do about the things in their life that are unfixable or the things they are no longer able to do. It hit me today... kind of like a ton of bricks.

I believe it's a grieving process. We grieve our losses & try to focus on the positives. I began thinking about all of the unfixable things going on in the lives of my loved ones & friends. Some have family moving away. Others have health issues. Some have heartaches with family members or sadness with friendships. The list of agony is endless.

I think we are wired to fix what's broken. However, sometimes what is broken isn't fixable (at least not by our hands). Sometimes our losses are not regained. A void replaces what we once had. It is kind of like accepting the things I cannot change. It might be smiling because it happened but knowing it's okay to cry because it's over. The memories are sweet; the void is empty. The heartache is real.

How do we let go & let God? I think we first admit our heartbreak. Then, I think we allow ourselves time to grieve. I believe that grieving is a necessary part of healing. If we fail to grieve, I think turmoil will find a home in our hearts (or maybe anger or bitterness). As we grieve, I believe we must look to God for comfort. If we never reach our lowest of lows, I don't believe we begin to realize the magnitude of God's grace.

When we reach the bottom of our barrel, when we realize the unfixable cannot be fixed, when we know our losses cannot be regained... that is when we turn to God. That is when He covers us with grace that allows us to bare our sorrows. That is when we learn the beautiful lesson that His grace is sufficient. Our glass becomes 1/2 full. It may even bubble over...


No comments:

Post a Comment