Tuesday, September 24, 2013

save us from ourselves

Yesterday was quite a day! I had my 6 month check up with my Oncologist. All my labs were normal (even my tumor marker). So much for which to be thankful! Upon receiving this good news, I proceeded to make a decision. I made the phone call. Done. Or so I thought...

About 10 minutes later, my phone rang. It was someone looking out for my best interest. She called to say she wanted me to rethink my decision. Her point was well taken (something I never considered). I explained why I made my decision. She listened. She comforted. Again, she strongly encouraged me to undo my decision. So I did.

I believe God places people strategically in our paths to save us from ourselves. This woman did not have to take time from her busy day to redirect my thinking. No... she didn't, but she did. As I listened to the concern in her voice, I knew I needed to heed her words. It really wasn't what I wanted to hear, but I knew I'd be a fool to disregard her wisdom.

Of course, my Nurse daughter was on her side from the beginning. Perhaps I should have listened to her from the get-go. Would have saved me a bit of turmoil. Sometimes in life, we want to play by our own rules. We want to call the shots & make the rules. Reality check! That doesn't usually work. This morning, as the sun comes up, I have to shake my head at myself.

I am old enough to know better. Why am I so foolish at my age after all I've been through? I guess it's cause I'm human. I am not above making a bad decision or letting "the tail wag the dog." I feel a bit ashamed, but I'm also thankful. I am thankful that God puts people in our lives who are passionate about what they do.  He has given me a daughter that loves me enough to speak the truth (even when she knows it will ruffle my feathers).

He puts people in our lives to protect us from ourselves. Sometimes, I think we are our own worst enemy. I have come too far to be so foolish. I'm a little embarrassed, but I have to chuckle at myself. I needed a gentle reminder. I don't get to call the shots. I have to play by the rules for the best outcome.
Sometimes, we just need to grow up...

No comments:

Post a Comment