Friday, November 1, 2013

My plans came to a screeching halt.

Yesterday in the blink of a phone call, my plans for the week changed. I was planning on having my oldest & her lil family for chili on Halloween. The baby was dressed as a monkey, & I couldn't wait to love on him! The chili was already in the crock pot. Yes... I got up early. I had plans to spend the weekend with my stepdad whom I've had very little time with since my mother passed into Heaven. My Aunt was celebrating her 80th birthday. So special, I couldn't wait to see her. Lastly, I would be lighting a candle for my mom at her church. Sunday, All Saints Day is celebrated in her church, & a candle is lit in memory of the Saints who passed away within the last year.

Yes... it was a lot packed into one weekend, but all things I felt were important. Then the phone rang. My youngest was calling to say she had mono. "Oh," I said. "Let me come & get you." I informed my husband of our sudden change in plans, readied myself, & headed North to pick up my sick daughter. It was raining hard. Construction added an hour both ways, but I was going to get my baby. None of that really mattered.

I picked her up, & we headed home. We chatted as we traveled down the highway, & I knew I had done the right thing (not that I would have done anything else). I counted my losses as I was on my way, but somehow, everything was right with my world. Unexpected time to spend nurturing my daughter. Kind of like old times... movies, Sprite, TLC, & whatever else would be needed.

So... my plans came to a screeching halt. I regret what I cannot do, but I am so thankful to be alive to do what I can do. I am here to nurture my young adult child back to health. I am here to keep her company, to fix her hot soup & smoothies. I am here to catch up on her life. I am here to love her, & I am able.

No comments:

Post a Comment