Thursday, November 28, 2013

The Bare Facts...

Today is Thanksgiving, & I have never felt so thankful in my life. Yes... a tornado recently caused devastation to my home & wreaked havoc on my life, but all is well with my soul. It's not rocket science to realize the bare facts. It's just the truth. If we learn little else from this catastrophic event, we immediately begin to understand the significance of life.

Our home is temporary. We cannot take the treasures we have stored up on this earth with us when we die. This is NOT Hell. It may resemble Hell, but it is not. Despite the rubble, love triumphs. In fact, I have never felt so loved in my life. I feel as though I have been wrapped in a blanket & carried through this tender time. As I look back over the past week, I recognize love far more than devastation.

I wish I could share all of the kindnesses that have befallen me through this tragedy... I cannot even begin to list them as they are far too numerous! We are getting settled into our temporary abode. We don't really know how long we will live here, but I think forever would be okay with me. I feel cozy here. It is home to me. I have a place to lie my head. I am surrounded by the ones I love. I could hope for nothing more.

As for my old home, I still cannot bear to visit. It isn't so much the memories. It's the level of discomfort. The temperatures are frigid. The scenery is so sad. Rubble & wreckage are everywhere (inside & out). What was once beautiful is gone. Only the memories remain. Dinginess & darkness abide in the place I once called home. It is not safe.

Materially, my losses cannot really be tallied. #1, I had too much stuff. #2, The sentimental value is priceless. #3, I am fine without every bit of it. #4, Interesting artifacts were salvaged. If I met a man on the street, & he asked me if  certain things found in my basement were mine, I would say, "NO... I have never before seen them".  A sad commentary on having too much stuff.

Lastly, I must point out the obvious... I have my husband carrying me through this, & we have our beloved pets. My family & friends & I now have even deeper relationships than the day before the tornado struck. Bonds have been formed which once did not exist. My heart is filled with warmth. I can only be thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment