Monday, June 2, 2014

sad truth...

In all honesty, I have been wronged. In all honesty, I have wronged others (sometimes without even knowing it, but not always). My last blog talked about hurtful words. I wasn't talking about any hurt I've endured over the years. I wasn't talking about any hurt I've caused over the years. No… I was speaking of hurt endured by loved ones (dear friends who have recently been hurt).

A friend made a comment following my blog about forgiveness. I'm not pretending that forgiveness is easy. In the Bible it says we must forgive 70 X 7. Jesus talked a lot  about forgiveness (with good reason). Forgiveness is not a part of our  human nature because we have memories. I don't think we are called to forget. We are called to forgive. Without memories, forgiveness would be so much easier.

What happens if we fail to forgive? Sad truth… we allow ourselves to be held in bondage by the person who wronged us. We become bitter inside & allow the offender to rob us of our peace & joy. Sometimes forgiveness takes time. It takes prayer. It takes a  daily practice of giving the offender to God & depending on His grace for the ability to forgive. The Bible says we will be forgiven according to how we forgive others. Yikes!

So how do I forgive? First & foremost…I remind myself that God loves the offender every bit as much as He loves me. Period. Secondly, after a while, I get sick of my unforgiveness, & I tell God I want to forgive. I don't want to be held in bondage by another person for anything. I don't want to be robbed of one moment of joy. I don't want to carry an ounce of bitterness in my heart. I want peace & restoration in my relationships. If I cannot have restoration, I at least want peace within my own heart.

Sometimes, I have to apologize for my wrongs. If I am aware, I want to apologize. Sometimes I must forgive without receiving an apology. That's always the hardest. I don't consider forgiveness an option. I see it as a commandment, a part of obedience. We forgive because we have been forgiven of much. When I pause to think about Jesus dying for my sins, I want to apologize to Him. Some of my sins are mere thoughts. Sometimes they are words. Occasionally they are actions. A sin is a sin, & the only justification for it is Jesus Christ. Because He suffered & died on the cross, I am forgiven. It's that simple.




No comments:

Post a Comment