Saturday, May 31, 2014

Lately...

Sometimes I get carried away & say things I regret. Sometimes, I don't listen to my filter, & something slips out; maybe I crossed the line? Then there are those times when the human side of me rears it's human head & I knowingly say something I should not have said. Always followed by remorse & regret…

Lately, I have been told & witnessed (on one occasion), people saying ugly, hurtful things to other human beings. My mouth dropped open (figuratively), & my heart hurt for the recipients of those mean words. As I stood there stunned, I wondered if the authors of those words realized how bad they made themselves look. Ouch!

The sad part is… words come from the heart. "What comes out of the mouth is what is overflows in the heart. " So… when people are mean spirited, I believe they have a heart issue. I know that sometimes the truth hurts, & our words are painful, but not to hurt, only out of love to help another person grow or to mend a relationship. Or… maybe in the name of honesty. How you say something is as important what you say.

The problem is, once these words are uttered, they cannot be taken back. Apologies can be said & meant, but sadly, the words still remain in the head & heart of the recipient. We can forgive, but we cannot forget (try as we might). So… the damage is done. The words stick, the hurt embeds itself, & all the comfort in the world cannot erase those words.

If we look to others to find our wholeness, we will always be let down. Only in Christ can we find unconditional love, regardless of what we've said or done. I cannot fathom the hurt that some of my dear friends have embedded deep within their hearts. It breaks my heart, & I wish I could erase those words. The damage is done. Only through Christ will wholeness come. I grieve for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment