Monday, November 12, 2012

not quite so bad...

Some of you may know that recently, I have been working on a surprise scrapbook for my husband's 50th birthday. Many of you may have contributed a letter. I was up all kinds of crazy hours working on this scrapbook. It turned out to be quite the project. Too bad he had an inkling as he saw one of the email headings on my laptop (unbeknownst to me). For 2 weeks, I have been consumed by this scrapbook, racing against the clock, breaking the printer, losing 2 of the emails, hiding the evidence, telling numerous lies, & the list goes on...

When I began this project, I didn't really like scrapbooking. I found it tedious & somewhat senseless. I couldn't see the value in putting a boarder around each piece of writing & each photo. Something changed about 1/2 way through this project. I began to love it, & to piece it together with intense passion. After all, it was for my beloved.

As I carefully glued each picture, my heart remembered the story behind the photo. As I wrote his life story, I loved thinking back through the years & remembering so many sweet memories. As I read the 67 letters sent by family & friends, I actually teared up over & over. I knew that he had no idea how much his friends & family valued him. I wish every one could receive a scrapbook of this magnitude for their 50th birthday.

Please don't think I am bragging. I am not. The meaningfulness was not my doing; it came from the beautiful letters. Bosses from the early years of his career wrote letters. Pastors from way back to the present sent messages. Friends & family near & far contributed. Childhood friends even participated. Some were funny. Some shared memories. Some wrote of things they admired about him or a way in which he touched their life. Others simply sent a loving birthday message.

As I crafted this project, I couldn't help but see some parallels in life. I loved being creative. I think I've actually found a new hobby. I loved piecing together seemingly useless scraps to make a page. It so reminded me of life, of how God takes our seemingly useless traits & makes something special from them. He takes the ordinary & does extraordinary things. What began as painstaking became delightful.

When it was all said & done, I don't think I've ever given him a more meaningful gift. I didn't know I had it in me, & I didn't know how it would touch him. When the party was over, he sat down on the  couch & read each word. Sometimes he laughed his belly laugh, & sometimes he cried. He was in awe that so many people took time to send him such beautiful messages. This past year has made life more meaningful in every way. Being blessed by so many people made turning 50 not quite so bad.


2 comments:

  1. Susie, I would love to see the scrapbook you made for your husband. I have made a few scrapbooks, just special ones for my kids when they graduated 8th grade and then college. Also, ones for my nephews when they graduated high school. You are right when you say sometimes it is just crazy how much work it is but yet it is so fulfilling and fun at the same time. And the end result is that you get to know the person you are doing the scrapbook for better with each page and the pictures all tell a story, just like you said! Once again, I am honored and happy to have something in common with you! Love you, as always, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come on over, Sherry. I'd love to show ya!

    ReplyDelete