Sunday, May 5, 2013

Flooded

Today as I passed a church on the highway, I scrambled to write down the words on the marquis. Failure is a detour, not a dead end. I began to ponder these words, & suddenly my mind was flooded with thoughts. Sometimes I find it hard to keep up with my thoughts...

I visualized a mission trip my youth group took about 5 years ago. We had much rain (seems familiar). Our trip which normally took 5 hours, took about 9 hours. We had detour upon detour. Instead of staying on the main route, we ventured through many small towns.

As we passed through these little towns, we drove very slowly. People were out everywhere helping each other. One man was draining water from his yard across the street to his neighbor's yard. I didn't completely understand, but I could see they were in this "mess" together, helping one another out.

I remember even chatting with a few people along the way. They were putting their belongings out to dry & trying to salvage whatever they could. Yes... our detour almost doubled our travel time. However, I felt like what I saw along the way was history in the making. It told a story I could never have seen without the detour.

I've had a few detours in my life, & I've known others to take a few detours too. Some say cancer is a detour. Perhaps it's a broken relationship, a job loss, or a terrible mistake. Whatever the detour, there are sights to see along the way. Without the detour, these experiences would be lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment