Saturday, May 3, 2014

I must stop here.

Just today, 2 of my dearest friends asked me what I would like for my birthday (which was a week or so ago, but that's okay cause that's how friends do it). I thought a little bit, & I could only come up with 1 thought. Really, they don't need to get me a thing. I have plenty, & their friendship is more than I could ever imagine. Like I said, they are 2 of my dearest friends.

I ran into one of them, & the other called me. Both wanting to know my birthday wish. So here it goes… I know those who read my blog are probably tiring of hearing about my life & the effects of my various health issues. Please know I never share for sympathy, mainly just for the sake of helping others in a similar boat.

I mustered up the courage to tell them both the truth. The one thing that would mean the most to me is if they would take the money they would spend on a gift & donate it to my team, Sweet Potatas. When I was at the Komen Affilliate the other day, I stepped into the restroom, only to see the photo which is now my backdrop on Facebook.

It shows eight or nine little ballerinas, & the caption says, "One will get breast cancer." I looked at that photo, & a lump welled up in my throat. My eyes filled with tears. I guess the thought was just too sobering for me at that particular moment. I know I beat a dead horse begging people to give to my cause. I'm surprised people continue to read my blog & be my friend on facebook. I'm sure they all tire of my cause.

But, the truth remains, if people give to my cause, they may one day be saving my life or more importantly my daughters' lives. They may be saving their own life & not even know it. I had no history & no warning. I had a clean mammogram 7 months prior to my diagnosis. Suddenly, I had a lump. Suddenly, I began a journey that would change me in every facet of my life. I don't regret this journey. I don't wish it never happened to me. But, at the same time, I simply cannot bear to think of it attacking my daughters or anyone else I love. I cannot even articulate my thoughts, because it is too painful, so I must stop here. Just know that my cause isn't my cause, it's for the love & lives of those I love, & perhaps the ones you love. Thanks for putting up with me.

2 comments: