Friday, May 2, 2014

My life once again would change...

On January 20th, 2014, my life once again would change. That day was just the beginning. I really had no idea what I had gotten myself into. Back in the Fall (before the tornado took my house), a very kind woman made a home visit. She brought with her a lymphedema pump. Her purpose was to fit me & train me. She asked me if I would be interested in the Pink Pumpers Program at IPMR (Institute of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation).

I asked a few questions & decided it was worth a try. It is a strength training program designed for women who are Breast Cancer Survivors. It is especially good if you have lymphedema because they help you prevent hurting yourself. I had caused my lymphedema to spread into my shoulder & chest because I overdid it swimming. This was not the first time I caused my own problems. I was having trouble navigating exercise without making my problems worse.

What I didn't realize was that I would be evaluated by a STAR (Suvivorship Training & Rehabilitation) staff member who would then offer me all kinds of help. Yes, I had to get a few referrals from the get- go, but my doctor was very willing to help me. Insurance covers most of it. I work hard. It's become my second home. But… the benefits are worth everything.

When you become a Cancer Survivor, you have no idea what that means. My guess is it's probably as different for each Survivor as is their diagnosis, their treatment, & their prognosis. My Breast Cancer journey began on a Sunday evening, August 14, 2011 with the discovery of a lump. As my journey approaches 3 years, I find myself somewhat of a different person.

I have short hair now. More of my friends have cancer then don't. I have physically changed. I've had a double mastectomy. A day doesn't go by that I don't physically experience this difference. Things just aren't the same. I have developed lymphedema in my left arm. I have chemo brain which causes me memory problems. I have neuropathy which daily takes its toll. I have anxiety & sleep issues. Sometimes I am afraid, & I wonder what happened to the old me. Some of my relationships have been impacted. Pain comes & goes. My faith has deepened. I no longer live with false security.

As the STAR team member evaluated me, she cared about things no one else seemed to understand. There was help through this program for every facet of my life. I have had balance therapy, occupational therapy, counseling, nutritional counseling, & help with personal issues. I've had to articulate my problems which takes humility, but in so doing, at last I've found help. Help for me ='s Hope. Help for me ='s Understanding. Help for me is a Comfort.

This blog is written for other Cancer Survivors. Help is a few phone calls away. The STAR Team is compassionate & respectful. Nothing is ever forced on you. Nothing is ever pulled out of you. The staff is caring & gentle. They are knowledgeable, professional, & helpful. They keep your confidence. A common thread of kindness exists among each person at IPMR. They care about you, & they simply want to improve the quality of your life. On January 20th, I hit the jackpot (in the nick of time)!


No comments:

Post a Comment