Thursday, November 20, 2014

I don't know what survived until...

Today we hit the basement again. We found lots of treasures. A few of them will be wrapped up for Christmas & given to their rightful owners. We found my cookie cutters.  Each tells its own lil story. I can see my round kitchen table filled with Christmas cut outs, & 3 lil girls staring at them with big eyes. My favorite cut out was always Santa.

We pitched, we cleaned, we sorted. That's how it goes, & we still have much more to do. We reminisced. I am sure we sounded like 2 chatter boxes. I don't think we ever shut up. Then… we went to lunch & even did a lil shopping. Would you like to know the best find of the day?

It was an 8 by 10 of my "Dolly." She was our Black Lab. She filled the childhood chapter of our kid's lives. She was smart & beautiful. She had her own personality. We had several nick names for her. She had a particular look about her that we called the side winder. She would turn her head side ways & stare. All you could see were the whites of her eyes. Our beloved dog.

In the photo, she is wearing a big red polka dot bow. I believe our daughter gave us this photo as a gift one Christmas. It even says Santa's Lil  Helper on it. As we sorted, it occurred to me that you can tell what's important to a person by the things they have collected over the years. Apparently, I could never have enough pairs of glasses or enough candles. True, I like them both, but I certainly didn't need enough candles to last a life time or enough glasses for 25 women.

I don't dread my basement days. Getting through this stuff actually brings a sense of relief. Finding treasures is fun. Usually, the find is followed by a delightful squeal. Well… it's been a year. I don't know what survived until I pull the lid off the rubber maid & look. Sometimes it's overwhelming; sometimes it's fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment