Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Once upon a time...

Once upon a time, there was a young boy that grew up in Southern Illinois. I am told he was a remarkable young man even though I did not meet him until he was in his early thirties. When he was old enough to be of help, he left his family to live with his uncle in a very small town. There, he farmed. He grew up to be a High School math teacher, but as the saying goes…"You can take the boy off the farm, but you can't take the farm out of the boy."

This man grew the best tomatoes Northern Illinois had ever tasted. He loved to water his grass. He was a fisherman. I recall him catching 73 perch one morning on the the pier on Lake Michigan. He loved to spend his summer mornings catching fish & cleaning his catch. That meant a fish fry was to be had, hush puppies & all!

He loved nature. He was a great camper even though he & his wife never agreed on a camp site. Still… he never gave up. He always bought her turtle necks for Christmas despite the fact that she couldn't wear them. Occasionally, he bought her a night gown instead. Her cousin helped him do his shopping. She was not easy to please in the gift department. Still… he never quit trying.

Every Christmas, he put up a real Christmas tree, lights & all. Of course, she was never pleased with the tree he chose. Still… he put up a tree every year. He loved to chop wood. He was a servant. He upheld the dignity of those who suffered. He was not afraid to state his opinion.

He loved a good election. He made signs galore & posted them in every yard that gave permission. He took care of the elderly. He loved to cook French Toast.  Potato soup was his specialty. He made home made ice-cream. I sat on the top of the ice-cream maker while he turned the crank. He loved a good oyster stew too. He had a passion for his pancake breakfast at church. He was the life of the party every Easter morn.

My favorite memory… he tucked me into bed each night with a glass of milk. He checked in my closet & under my bed every night to make sure no one was lurking there. He assured me I would not have a bad dream or die before I wake. He kissed my forehead & told me he loved me each & every night. He was my DadderBoy. He was gone to soon from this earth, but in my heart he'll always be.

No comments:

Post a Comment