Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Memorial Walk

Last night was a brrrrzy cold night. I almost didn't go. I took a fall about an hour before. I was unnerved. I spaced out & took a wrong turn on the way there. I was late. My mind was in another place. It was so cold! I went to buy a warm hat & some under leggings. That's when I fell in the parking lot, & that's why I was late.

So, on that cold dark blustery night, I turned myself around. I asked myself. Should I go? I'll freeze. I might fall again. It will be dark & cold. My daughter called to see if I was still coming. She was there with her boyfriend & her dear friend. Should I go? My precious daughter is there. It will be memorable. I will freeze. My knee hurts. I'm unnerved. So many excuses…

I kept going. I told her I would just keep driving, & if I got there in time, I would join her. She waited for me. I got there. I even parked up close as I drove over 2 bright yellow cement barriers. I made it. I walked in, & there she was. So caring. On the phone, she said she would hold on to me. She said it was a night to help others if ever there were such a night.

We took photos. We drank hot chocolate as we walked. We walked arm in arm. The wind chill gave me a temporary headache. Snow blew across our path. We were at the end of the line. My daughter was worried we were slowing down the vehicles who were following us. It felt like we were going at a good pace.

We laughed along the way. We remembered (but not so much in a painful way). No, we remembered in a meaningful way while making a new memory at the same time. It was blustery. It was cold. The hot chocolate was amazing. The service was filled with beauty & meaning.  We felt rugged. 2 things stick out in my mind: my daughter & my friends. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment