Sunday, September 2, 2012

...ask Jimmy Fallon

On Friday night, in his monologue, Jimmy Fallon said something like this: 30% of the world is sensitive to gluten, & the other 70% is sick of hearing about it. I'm not sure I got the percentages right, but you get the idea. I had to laugh because what he said is true. People who don't care about gluten really don't want to hear about it.

So if you are in that 70%, you might not want to read any further. However, I've had a few people ask me for an update on how my gluten free thing is working. Here's the truth: I'm not losing any more weight, but I am losing inches. Hmmnnn... I swear I'm doing this for my health, but it sure would be nice to lose 10 more pounds.

I have been assured that this is perfectly normal, & I will begin to lose again. A strange phenomenon to be sure. It has to do with your body turning fat into muscle, being more dense, etc. I don't exactly get it, but I'm willing to hang in there. In fact, I have no desire to go back to my old habits. It could also be a result of having been sick for a year, & my body trying to protect itself.

My cholesterol is coming down. My husbands been able to have his cholesterol medication reduced, & he is slowly losing weight. I have more energy, & I feel better (for basically the whole day). When I follow the diet without any mess ups, I have more stamina than I've had in a long time. I've gotten rid of some of my puffiness (mainly in the face & gut). That can only help how I feel about myself.

The best part: once you give up gluten &/or sugar, you pretty much stop craving food that isn't good for you. You eat more because you are truly hungry, not because you are craving sweets, salts, grease, or whatever. Yes... it takes a lot of work. Some of the ingredients are hard to find. Some of the recipes flop. Eating out is a bit more difficult, however, it too gets easier with time.

In a world where you have little control over lots of things, giving up gluten is a choice (unless you are truly allergic to it). Then it becomes a necessity. In my world, its a choice. As I explained a month ago, I feel I have nothing to lose by giving it a try. Research ties gluten to many of my ailments, even if there's no solid studies yet to prove  it.

So... for me, the proof lies in how I feel. I've never felt better. Even though my weight has plateaued, it's still worth it. I'm thankful my husband is doing it with me. We are both benefiting, & it makes it so much easier for me to cook. It's empowering to make a life change which is healthy, especially after the year I've had. I'm loving life & living it to the fullest. I'm excited to watch & see if my cholesterol continues to drop. I'm hoping my weight will again head in the right direction. It's all refreshing, & I'd highly recommend it even if you aren't gluten intolerant.

No comments:

Post a Comment