Tuesday, September 25, 2012

That was the best part of all!

If you are my FB friend, then you know I just had the celebration of a lifetime at Disney World. My husband is my personal "make-a-wish" foundation. As you know, he went to China on a mission trip. Originally, I was going with him. Then... my diagnosis came, & our plans changed. So... while he was in China, a long time friend & I went to Disney World. This trip was my end of treatment celebration.

I've never seen Disney World as I did on this trip. There are probably no 2 travelers on this earth who are more compatible than my friend & me. We really didn't do rides (unless you consider It's a Small World a ride). We browsed & shopped a lot. We saw fireworks almost every night. We dined with characters & even ate in the castle. The last night we splurged & went to the Halloween Party. Oh what a party!

Halfway through our stay, we swam with a dolphin named Lester. What a hoot! We had the most beautiful day of the week & enjoyed every minute. The lazy river was amazing. We attempted to snorkel & even swam with spotted sea rays. We visited a bird aviary, & I stepped out of my box & fed a bird while he sat on my wrist.

As we boarded our plane to come home, my friend asked me what my favorite part of the trip was. Truthfully, I had so much fun, it's hard to say... But, as I've pondered this question over the last few days, I can honestly say, the time spent with my friend was definitely the best part. We laughed so hard we cried a few times.

I became very sick half way through the trip. My friend took care of me & hiked miles to get me something to soothe my stomach. I felt so bad putting a damper on our trip, however she never batted an eye. I had a few limitations. She acted as if they were not limits at all. She carried my bags when my shoulder hurt. She waited on me time & again, as I became queasy. She checked on me in the night when I was feverish. She ate when I was hungary (even if she wasn't). And... she made sure I had plenty of water.

My friend defines what it means to have a servant heart. She's been my friend for 25 years, so this fact is not new to me. However, being the recipient of her servant heart for 7 straight days was something I'd not yet experienced. She serves with such grace, you could almost take her for granted (as I'm sure many people do). I know I'm a grown woman, but after this past year, I'm not quite as resilient, sharp, & confident as I once was. Having a friend like this is nothing to take for granted.

At the end of the trip, I asked her if she learned anything new about me. She said no. I questioned her thoroughly. I asked her if she had realized the extent of some of my quirks before this trip. Apparently she had, because she said no. As for me, I don't know why I'm surprised, but the depth of her goodness left me in awe. I've always known her to be kind, but somehow it had new meaning after this trip. I felt like God took me & put me in the best possible hands (as if she were family), & gave me a week full of treasured memories. That was the best part of all!





1 comment:

  1. True friendship is the most amazing gift of all -- I think you are also that kind of friend to so many people, Susie, and you received in return from your amazing and special friend! So, Yay, so glad you had such a fantastic time!!! :)

    ReplyDelete