Friday, September 28, 2012

The Unspeakable

Yesterday, the unspeakable happened. A young mother left her sweet 3 week old defenseless baby on the side of the road. To make matters worse, she notified the police that her baby had been abducted. The Amber Alert was put into action, endless prayers were offered up to God, & roughly 12 hours later, 2 volunteers heard the baby cry, & delivered her to safety. This little sweetie was actually found during a prayer vigil. I believe God answered our prayers.

So... we have a choice. We can lash out on FB, share our disgust, & make this family feel even smaller than they do, or we can pray for them. If I were in their shoes, it would be the greatest nightmare of my life. Yes... even bigger than my dad falling off a roof & dying from cancer. It beats my own cancer. It beats all of my heartaches in life put together.

I can't imagine the sickness they must have all felt when the baby's mommy went from being the victim to the criminal. In the blink of an eye, their worst nightmare (an abducted baby) became even worse (the mommy abandoned her). The day was long. It was beyond draining. It was excruciating. They were so grateful the baby was found before dark. She was alive. There was hope. She would likely recover. She's a fighter!

On the flip side... their world was turned upside down & inside out. If that isn't enough, all eyes are on them. People sit in judgement sickened by this mother's unconscionable act. They simply can't wait to voice their 2 cents.... I would never do that. Of course, they are freely giving their opinion on what kind of sentence the mother deserves. They are disturbed, disgusted. You name it, they are feeling it, & voicing it.

I'd like to challenge the people who have made cruel statements via FB to reconsider & delete their cruel comments. This family is sick. Obviously, the mother is not well. There aren't even words to describe this act. Their main concern is the care of this little baby & her infant sister. These 2 little treasures mean the world to them. We don't always get what we deserve in life, & sometimes we do. Some tragedies elicit sympathy. Others elicit cruelty. Either way, it's tragic.

We are not better because we have avoided such an atrocity in our own family. Let's face it... we all need to clean up our own hearts & stop throwing stones. There by the grace of God go I. What's the next tragedy my family will face? Will it elicit comfort or cruelty from my fellow human beings? Either way, I will be at my lowest. Will you lift me up or pound me further into the ground?

1 comment: