Sunday, September 9, 2012

the least of these

Today we packed my husband up for China, a mission trip that originally included me. However, early on in the planning, we realized it would be risky to take me with all of my health issues. Newly diagnosed with cancer, we agonized over what to do, & sadly pulled my name from the list.

I have been at peace with this decision ever since it was made. However, I feel bad about not being there with & for my husband. This just isn't quite how it was supposed to be (at least in our eyes). But... as I've said so many times, God has the whole picture, not me.

The team will be loving on Orphans at Maria's Big House of Hope. I've read books about the founding of this ministry, & my heart will be with them. Little orphans who are left in dumpsters to die, abandoned on front steps, & found in many other places are given a safe haven at Maria's Big House of Hope.

Most of these orphans have life threatening illnesses or disabilities.  Sadly, some of them don't make it (even with the loving care of Maria's Big House of Hope). However, they are nurtured until the day they pass into the loving arms of Jesus. Each one is treated as if he/she belongs to his/her nanny. Disabilities & illnesses range from cleft pallets, heart issues, spina bifida, kidney problems, & blindness, to all sorts of unimaginable conditions.

Each child comes with a list of special needs, all of which take detailed attention. Logistics are constantly being worked out for surgeries, care, & the like. The original founder of this organization suffers herself from severe headaches & is limited in what she can do. Steven Curtis Chapman & his wife, Mary Beth, partnered with the original missionaries & dedicated Maria's Big House of Hope in loving memory of their little Maria who died at 5 years old. She too began as an orphan & was adopted by the Chapman family.

As my husband's co worker says, adoption is such a story of redemption. It's a beautiful story! The Bible commands us to care for orphans, to be the hands & feet of Jesus. As the days count down to the mission team's departure (5 left), each team member is filling his/her suitcase, doing a special Bible Study, & deep in prayer. Mission trips are sacred. God uses them to change hearts (both of those being served & those serving). Thanks to each of you who are joining me in prayer to lift up this team & the little ones, the very least of these, whom they will serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment