Tuesday, September 25, 2012

BitterSweet

Yesterday was bittersweet. I had my last treatment. Wow! To think how far I've come in a year! When I think back, I am so thankful to be in the place I am now. I still have a few surgeries left, but nothing major. A year ago, we were planning a wedding, looking forward to Christmas, having chemo, trying to make an overwhelming decision about surgery, & awaiting many unanswered questions.

I felt like a ballon without any air. I tolerated chemo very well for the most part, just got a bit weak. It was about this time, we shaved my head. I remember it distinctly & always will. I remember the relief that followed when my family told me I had a pretty head. We didn't really shed any tears. We just got the job done.

I think I lived in shock for most of the year. I just couldn't believe what had happened to me, kind of an outer body experience. In a strange sense, I feel very honored to have walked this walk. As I said, it's a journey no one would chose, not me, not even now. But... God has given me depth through it all, & for that, I am thankful. Now... I have to remind myself to pick up the pace. I am well & striving for a full recovery.

Today is bittersweet because as I finish my treatments, one of my heroes has been admitted to the hospital. Her cancer has spread, & she is in pain. She is young & beautiful. She is faithful. She has a husband & 2 young children. It just doesn't seem fair. I know she has pondered such news for years, but still, I think she must be in shock.

I have never taken news like this well, & I've only found it harder as I've survived this past year. It weighs heavily on my heart, & I dwell on it. I pray for her constantly. I pray for a miracle. I pray that she will know God's presence. That's the only thing I am sure of. I pray that she will be relieved of her suffering. I pray for her beloved husband & her 2 sweet children. It isn't fair. I pray for her parents & her sisters. They are all on this journey together. It isn't fair.

There are no earthly answers to my questions. I've only known her a short time. Yet, she stole my heart from the start. She came to minister to me, to tell me that this would just be a chapter in my life (even though she knew her's was more). It isn't fair.

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry for your friend and her family and for the anxiety you are feeling and the sadness because of it. It is so NOT FAIR! You are right about that, Susie. I am also so happy you had your last treatment. This has been a long year for you, I am sure. I can't even imagine to begin to understand all that you and all the others who have to fight cancer have to go through. Thank you from all of us for helping us to be empathetic. Love you and see you soon! :)

    ReplyDelete