Friday, December 14, 2012

Bananas & Jelly Bellies

It had been a long day. Her mood was somber, almost cross. She seemed like she had little joy left in her life. All day, I wished for a smile, maybe even a little laughter. Nothing. Very little conversation. Just existing seemed difficult.

As darkness came & the Christmas lights began to twinkle, her grand son sat down at the piano & began to play beautiful soft music. He just played what came to mind. I realized her spirits were quietly transcending to a different place. I could see a soothing effect as her facial muscles began to relax. Her head even swayed slightly as the beautiful chord progressions permeated her soul.

It was as though Heaven came down & sweet healing took place, at least for a moment. As her grand son said good night, I hugged him. What peace he had brought to her troubled mind. She headed for her bedroom to dress for bed. As I was tucking her in, she decided to come back out to the living room.

We sat on the couch & listened to classical music. Again, I noticed peace & even a little joy. Her foot began to sway with the beat. She began to come to life. We ate Jelly Bellies & shared a banana. We talked about Mozart & Beethoven. She even asked for some Rachmaninoff. She said to tell my brother she didn't get to hear Prokofiev.

Her highlight came when the Mormon Tabernacle choir sang "O Come All Ye Faithful" (her favorite of the night). As we picked out our different flavored Jelly Bellies, we laughed because we both knew we shouldn't be eating them. The banana we shared? Well... in the morning I offered her a banana, & she informed me she doesn't like bananas. Really?

No comments:

Post a Comment