Friday, December 7, 2012

I'd like to change a few things about myself.

What Christmas memory will stick in your mind the most this year? Will it be a gift you gave away, or perhaps a gift you received? It might be the little program at church, or perhaps the Christmas concert at school. Maybe you'll go Christmas caroling or bake a batch of cut outs. You might get to spend much needed time with loved ones or quietly celebrate without much ado. Whatever your circumstances, a few memories will be made. Christmas tends to be a mile marker.

As I flash back through my own Christmas memoirs, I always begin on Christmas Eve with the anticipation of Santa Claus. We went to a candle light service & gathered with cousins for a fancy dinner. I never could completely enjoy myself because I was worried I wouldn't fall asleep. Santa would pass me by.

Somehow, I always fell asleep & awoke to some delightful little Christmas gifts. It was almost always a doll... Baby First Step, Mrs. Beasely, Chrissy, to name a few. I always got a new nightgown. My stocking was filled with apples & oranges, a few candy canes, & some chocolate covered cherries. I could count on that.

Christmas was magical for me. It was a time to enjoy friends & family, go Christmas caroling, maybe sledding, & ring in the New Year. I loved being free from school for a few weeks. I loved having my cousin spend the night. Playing with my new doll kept me busy for hours. Life was simple. Little things meant a lot.

Every year as Christmas passed, I was sad. I still feel that way. I want to savor every moment. Before I know it, the music will stop, the bell ringers will be gone, Santa won't be in the mall, & all that will remain of the gifts that were opened will be balled up wrapping paper & empty boxes. The weather will be chilly. The kids will go back to school. My heart will feel bare.

As we ring in the New Year, resolutions will be made. Some will be meaningless. Some foolish. A few will be sincere, but most will go by the wayside. I like to write mine down & see how I did the following year. Sometimes I don't even remember what it was. This year my goal is to reach out more to other people. I want my resolution to be of eternal significance. Yes... I'd like to lose a few pounds & change a few things about myself, but more than anything, I'd like to do something that will allow God to use me.

No comments:

Post a Comment